CBC Toronto’s Metro Morning Ontario Today show is airing a week-long series on immigration, diversity and multiculturalism starting Mon March 3/08. CBC TV will air similar segments on the evening news. Radio-Canada will carry the series in French.
Toronto’s Mosaic: A Reality Check will explore the following issues:
- Discrimination that new Torontonians experience.
- Cultural stereotypes and neighbourhood enclaves.
- Traditions – home traditions vs. Canadian traditions.
- What does it mean to become a Canadian?
CBC news also maintains another good site with information (beyond Toronto) entitled “Immigration in Canada: From 1947 to 2017“.
On Thursday, March 6, the CBC will host a Town Hall and invites Torontonians to attend and participate in the discussion. The event will be held at the Glenn Gould Studio, CBC Broadcastng Centre, 250 Front St. West. The event begins at 7:30, doors open at 6:45.
- Uzma Shakir, community activist, recently named Economic Justice Fellow by the Atkinson Charitable Foundation.
- Raheel Raza, writer and diversity consultant and interfaith advocate.
- Patrick Habamenshi, University of Guelph and FarmStart.
Let’s all call in to the vox-box and raise the issues of immigrant children. Here’s how to reach the CBC with your comments: 1.866.648.6714.