Canadian Women’s Studies/les cahiers de la femme (cws/cf). CWS/cf’s Fall/Winter 2008 issue is committed to an exploration of women and Canadian multiculturalism. Twenty years after the Canadian Multicultural Act was passed in 1988, this journal aims to provide a space to reflect critically on the issues related to Canadian multiculturalism for the last two decades in specifically feminist terms. …
While multiculturalism is often touted as a reason to celebrate Canadian identity, our approach is premised on the understanding that multiculturalism is in fact a contentious concept. As a policy, multiculturalism is embedded within gendered-racialized discourses of national identity, that variously urge tolerance or assimilation in response to deep anxieties about the loss of national identity.
Possible topics of interest to immigrantchildren.ca visitors:
- immigration policy and patriarchalization of immigrant communities/families
- 1st generation, 2nd generation, 1.5 generation experiences
- Québec v. federal policies (interculturalism v. multiculturalism)
- new policies and laws, Bill C-50
- multiculturalism and education.
For more information, contact CWS/cf by telephone: 416-736-5356 or email: email@example.com