The US-based Center for Public Policy Priorities has released a study of unaccompanied children in the United States who are repatriated to their home countries: A Child Alone and Without Papers: A Report on the Return and Repatriation of Unaccompanied and Undocumented Children by the United States (in English and Spanish, including a two-page summary) is available on the CPPP website.
A few key highlights:
- Children are routinely mistreated by US authorities
- Children are denied legal representation
- Children are denied access to their Consulates
- Safety of children transported back to their home countries is not a major concern
- Children are often returned to unsafe conditions.
The research report includes several key recommendations for policy and practice.