The Affiliation of Multicultural Societies and Service Agencies (AMSSA) May 9th AMSSA Newcomer Children’s Information Exchange, or ANCIE Bulletin, announces the release of the “Compendium of Newcomer Children’s Services in British Columbia” and links to videos and presentations from the first Provincial Symposium on Cultural Competencies: Supporting Newcomer Children, held at SFU Harbour Centre in February, 2010.
What a rich resource! The Compendium provides an overview of programs and services for newcomer children from birth to age 12. It was developed by AMSSA member agencies in BC. The Compendium includes:
• A list of programs developed at the community level for newcomer children
• An overview of general children’s programs that have been modified to meet the specific needs of newcomer children
• Agencies, groups and individuals with expertise in providing services to newcomer children.
Presentations at the February 2010 symposium, linked in the Bulletin include:
• Sylvia Helmer, UBC, ESL Consultant: Cultural Competency in the Classroom and Curriculum
• Jim Anderson, UBC: Engaging Newcomer Children and Parents through Literacy
• Deb Kohen and Amber Phillips, Ministry of Children and Family Development: Positive Parenting Program: Helping newcomer families understand Canadian laws and norms in discipline and parenting.